School Around Us 2018-19 Tuition & Parent Requirements
- Tuition for the 2018-19 school year is $8800 per full-time student, plus a $250 Activities Fee. Younger group students (only) may enroll as part-time students. Part-time tuition for the 2018-19 school year is $7040, plus a $250 Activities Fee. We offer families a 25% discount on tuition when enrolling additional siblings.
- Tuition payments may be made in full at the start of the school year, or divided over the 10 months of the school year. (A complete description of the tuition payment policy is available in the SAU Parent Handbook.)
- All families are eligible to apply for scholarships after their first year of enrollment. Scholarships are awarded by the Board of School Around Us according to the need demonstrated by each family, and the total available scholarship funds.
Parent Engagement - Required Contributions
School Around Us is a community-run school which operates using a consent process. This means that collectively, all parents are responsible for ensuring the oversight of all school administrative functions, maintenance of the physical site, financial well-being and long term sustainability of the school. To this end, each family that joins SAU is required to commit to the following responsibilities as a member of the parent body:
- Monthly Community Meetings - 1st Wednesday of each month from 5:30 - 8:00pm. There are a total of 16 meetings per year, including 4 philosophy/ focus meetings held on the third Wednesday of agreed upon months. Each family may miss no more than 2 meetings per year.
- Participation in 1 Committee (of your choice) - All SAU parents participate in a committee of their choosing. Committees may include: Facilities Committee, Administration Committee, Development and Fundraising Committee, Education Committee. Committee meetings are scheduled within each committee according to the needs of the school. Typically committees meet at least one time per month.
- 2 Workdays per year (fall/spring) - approximately 4 hours per family, per day.
- Orientation Day - 9am to 3 pm, held the first Saturday of the school year
- Support one parent-run school day – These are school days when our teaching staff may be participating in professional development, writing assessments, conducting parent-teacher conferences or other events. Parents serve as substitute teachers and work alongside other teaching staff and/or parents. Dates of parent-run days are determined each school year.
- Craft Fairs – SAU has been host to a tradition of juried craft fairs for many years. These are well loved and well attended fairs, with many vendors returning year after year. For the 2018/2019 school year we have chosen to host one, 2-day craft fair in August on the green in Kennebunkport. Support for a craft fair includes prep the day before of the event and staffing the fair the day of. Parent duties are determined by the Craft Fair Coordinator.
- All School Play – sign up for one “shift” to help prep for the production /staff the event / cleanup. The play takes place in April just before the start of Spring Vacation. Typically we have 3 performances of the play over three days.
- Participate in Teacher Evaluation Process – Meet with fellow parents in your child’s peer group to reflect on the teacher’s year, their goals, performance, and provide recommendations to the parent body for the coming year.